Saturday, December 27, 2008

My Genius At Work Again

For the past few years, my poor piano has been having issues with the damper pedal. No matter how hard I would push down on it, it just wouldn't sustain any notes at all. Needless to say, everytime I played the piano, it was very staccato-y and just really bothered my ears. I have a habit of jumping my fingers off notes to let them ring better and that just doesn't work at all if you have no pedal action! So today I decided to see if it was something I could fix since I don't have any money for piano repairs at the moment. First I opened up the top sections to see if the pedal action was even working. Well, it was, but just barely. Not even enough to move the damper keys out of the way. So I took the front panel off to take a look at the pedal rods themselves. Have you ever wondered what a 20yr old piano looks like on the inside??? Coated with cobwebs. And I mean coated. After wiping away the mess, I noticed there are wing nuts on top of all the pedals. So I started tightening the damper pedal up and lo and behold...the pedal now sustains notes! Hooray!!! Can't wait to start playing more now that my music will sound normal again!

3 comments:

Mandy said...

that's lucky you guys have a piano- that's one of those things I think we'll get in 10 years or something... I'm glad you made it better!

Lissa said...

Oh my gosh! I would DIE if I didn't have a piano for 10 years!

ballerina girl said...

I can't believed you fixed a piano-I wish I was as handy as you!