Thursday, June 17, 2010

Learning To Sew


My wonderful mom taught me to sew when I was 6. Yes, 6. She forced me to sew on lined paper FOREVER!!!! Suppossedly to teach me how to sew straight. Well, it worked. And even though I (not-so) secretly resented it, I'm now very thankful for her strictness. Anyways, Amber has been begging me for sewing lessons. So the first thing I did......I whipped out a sheet of lined paper. Hahaha! After going over the basics of my poor, old, grouchy sewing machine - and warning her to keep her fingers clear from the needle - she was ready to sew! I had her sew 5 straight lines and of course inspected her work. Mom, you'd be proud. I made her re-do 3 lines. And after bursting into frustrated tears, I asked her where she was watching the line. Apparently I forgot to tell her to watch it BEFORE it gets to the needle! lol She had no problem finishing her lines after that clarification! If she's still interested tomorrow, I'll start her on a little nine-patch pillow.

4 comments:

Tai said...

haha. That is awesome. Cute picture of Amber too...

Amber said...

That is awesome!!! and what a fabulous way to learn! Great job on all the sewing projects. I am impressed.

Bowman-Blog said...

Go girl! Hey, what's wrong with your sewing machine? That was a very nice expensive one. It should last you a life time!

Amy Eds said...

That's awesome! I got my little Aubrey a used sewing machine (I have a really nice one that I don't want my kids using quite yet). She enjoyed sewing several things on it--mostly just sewed zigzags and other fun stitches on scraps of mine while I sewed on other projects.